Friday, January 16, 2015

My 2015 Resolution - Buy a Home

Taking the Plunge in 2015

So I realize that I have been a little lax on the blogging and that New Year's happened a few weeks ago at this point, but I did make one important resolution for this year that I think will be helpful to share. My thought process is that if I blog about this and tell everyone that I'm going to do it, I'm more likely to actually make it happen! Based on where my life is at, I think that this would be a good year to purchase my first home! 

Perfect Timing

If I think back to my life one year ago, I never imagined that I would be where I am today. I was suffering through a miserable senior year of college, living in a ramshackle house with little to no heat and I often struggled to figure out how to pay my (very small) bills. But, given the fact that I was a 20 year old student, everything seemed on the right path!

Since then I've graduated, landed a job and become a lot happier. And so rather than focusing on the short term, I can start honing in on some of my long term goals. My biggest goal as of now is to retire young, but more on that another time. So I've set my sights on buying my first home, hopefully right here in Worcester!

The Hard Part - Saving

Abstractly, the idea of buying a home sounds awesome: space that I can use for anything, no more rent payments, maybe a dog! But getting from here to there will require me to save like crazy. So far I've got about $1000 saved, so clearly I have a long way to go. If I actually want to save enough for a downpayment in one year, I have to have a really solid plan, so here it is: save 50% of my income this year.

This may seem crazy, an on some level it probably is, but I'm on track so far. I'm trying to learn to appreciate what I have and find happiness from myself rather than from possessions, again more on that later. As of right now, this all seems pretty much like a dream, but I think that if I really focus, I can make it. This post is really just a collection of some of my high level and as of yet undeveloped ideas, but hopefully I'll be back with some progress in the coming months! 

Labels: , , , ,